Football 4 Freedom – going ahead!
Football 4 Freedom Update 6th September 2019 – Information about the Palestinian girls’ football visit from Palestine, 23rd November to 3rd December 2019.
This year we began fundraising for this big visit without the help of big grant funding. We initially found it difficult to get it going – earlier in the summer, we didn’t see how we would raise all the money we needed to bring the whole team. We set our sights low and thought we’d only bring a small group.
But then the support started to flood in. Some groups joined us as partners –
- Merton PSC (South London),
- Pendle Beit-Leed (Lancashire),
- Waltham Forest PSC (North-East London),
- Goal Diggers (Islington)
and some joined in as supporters –
- Easton Cowgirls (Bristol)
- Muslima Sports Association (North-East London)
Other groups and individuals sent along donations or organised fundraisers. There have been charity football matches, birthday fundraisers, film events, sponsorships, crowdfunders and small grant applications that have between them raised thousands of pounds and this is continuing. Here is a poster by Anthony from Glasgow who has just raised £1500 – his Just Giving page is still open for more!
The interest and co-operation between dozens of people and the contributions from (???) hundreds (we can’t really tell how many) has been really moving. We don’t know how to reach them all so hope this reaches most…
** THANK YOU VERY MUCH**
NOW THE VISIT IS GOING AHEAD AND TICKETS HAVE BEEN BOUGHT FOR THE WHOLE TEAM
We are going to bring eleven girls and four leaders to the UK between 23rd November and 3rd December. This will be the Cadfa co-ordinator from Abu Dis, the Abu Dis Sports Club girls’ football team trainer, the young woman assistant trainer and a teacher from Abu Dis Girls’ School (school for most of the team). And a whole team of girls aged 13-15, who are really looking forward.
The programme for the visit is being developed. The current draft is
- Saturday 23rd November – arrive Gatwick and stay in Merton.
- Sunday and Monday 24th and 25th – 2 days in Merton
- Monday evening – Travel to Camden (which will be base) to stay one night before travelling
- Tuesday to Thursday 26th to 28th November -2 days out of London including Pendle plus+ 1 day to allow for travel at both ends – back to London on Thursday 28th
- Friday and Saturday 29th and 30th November – 2 days in Camden and Islington
- Sunday and Monday 1st and 2nd December – 2 days in Waltham Forest probably still staying in Camden
- Tuesday 3rd December leave
The programme will include meetings with young people, school visits, a public event in each place, sports activities and football trainings, a football tournament in each place – look out for further information.
IN PALESTINE The girls are meeting twice a week for football training at Abu Dis Youth Club and once a week at Dar Assadaqa Girls’ Club to prepare for the visit. Visa applications will begin soon.
IN BRITAIN, partner groups are currently working on their programmes. They will be working within the guidelines of the project as a whole in particular on safety/ child protection for accommodation, travel etc, and we are holding co-ordinating meetings roughly weekly to ensure the project links well together. If you would like to help, please be in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
NEW FOOTBALL 4 FREEDOM PAGE on our website HERE
CADFA and the Football 4 Freedom team